ENERGY REDUCTION AND ALTERNATIVES SOURCES
Energy conservation is a major challenge for many convention centers as the buildings are often operating on a near 24-hour basis. Here at the Colorado Convention Center, we look for creative ways to reduce our impact. Following the launch of our sustainable efforts, we reduced our energy consumption by almost 29% compared with the previous year.
- 300kw rooftop Solar Array
The system has been in place since 2008 and produces approximately 400,000 kilowatt-hours (kWh) annually. This saved the equivalent of 282 metric tons (MtCO2e) of carbon dioxide emissions as compared to conventionally produced electricity, which equates to the CO2 emissions of the following:
- Saving 31,676 gallons of gasoline
- Saving 655 barrels of oil
- Planting 7,067 trees
- Taking 53 cars off the road for a year
Our solar panels produce the following:
- Variable Frequency Drive fans in our HVAC system for increased efficiency
- Natural Daylighting used in our Atriums
- Lighting Level protocol set at 50% for move-in and 25% for cleaning and maintenance
- Interested in learning about how to calculate the Carbon Footprint of your event? Contact our Sustainability Manager to gather this important data.
- Renting or purchasing equipment for your event? Make sure it is Energy Star certified to increase the efficiency of your event.
- Incorporate a power down policy at your next event. Turn off computers, printers, and light fixtures when not in use. Take it a step further by asking your production company to do the same!